Life-size statues of Mr. Walker have been installed in nine locations around Springfield. The presence of these brightly-colored statues is intended to reinforce existing crosswalk signage and serve as a visible reminder to both drivers and pedestrians to use and respect crosswalks.
Statues are located in the following locations:
- Park Central Square - Southwest corner directly in front of the Park Central Branch Library.
- Commercial Street - Crosswalk location near the intersection of Commercial Street and Robberson Avenue.
- Cherry Street at Pickwick Ave - Mr. Walker is enjoying the Rountree business area!
- National Avenue & Elm Street - Mr. Walker is right at the intersection, bringing awareness to frequent pedestrian crossings.
- Campbell Avenue & Walnut Lawn Street – Located at the X-walk compliance board on the northwest corner, letting drivers know how they are doing with yielding to pedestrians.
- Grand Street & Hammons PKWY – Right by the MSU Campus, Mr. Walker reminds drivers to not just yield to oncoming vehicles, but to pedestrians as well.
- Division Street & Glenstone Avenue – Located at the X-walk compliance board on the northwest corner, this walker let’s people know how many drivers are currently choosing to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks.
- Campbell Ave & Grant Street – Mr. Walker is alerting drivers to the pedestrians that are crossing to get to the grocery store. Be sure to yield!
- Sunset Street and Grant Ave - Look for Mr. Walker where the trail crosses the road!
Currently "Student Walker and Mr. Walker" statues are located at the pedestrian safety focus schools for the 2019/20 school year:
- Delaware Elementary School
- Bowerman Elementary School
- Sherwood Elementary School