Requirements - Minimum Qualifications
- Age 18 or older;
- High School graduation or G.E.D.
- No felony convictions;
- No serious misdemeanor convictions for the past 5 years;
- Vision correctable to 20/30;
- Excellent physical condition.
Candidates must provide supporting documentation that applicant possesses at least one of the following minimum qualifications:
- EMT-B (license)
- Firefighter I and II (certificate)
- 36 accredited college hours (transcript)
- 2 years active duty military service with honorable discharge (DD214)
Read the complete Firefighter job description.
Candidates must attach a copy of their EMT-B license, firefighter 1 and 2 certifications, college transcript or Military Form DD214 with application. The application packet must be completed. Candidates may attach a summary of additional licenses, certifications or registrations that they would like considered.
Talent and Experience Evaluation
- Interviews take approximately 30 minutes.
- Employment interviews with the City of Springfield may be different than interviews with other employers. Check out our interview tips here.
- Background investigations are initiated after the interview and take several weeks to complete.
- The Department will conduct background investigations on more candidates than there are vacancies, because it is common that background investigation results will eliminate some candidates from consideration for hire. However, it is likely that not all candidates on the eligibility list will go through this process. Candidates with the highest scores are given preference.
- The background investigation is very extensive and requires the candidates to sign an authorization form. It will include previous work references, criminal and civil records checks, personal references, and checks with landlords, neighbors, etc. among other things.
- Candidates will not be considered without multiple reference checks from previous employment.
- The Human Resources Department will make job offers, conditional on passing the physical examination and drug screen.
- Generally physical examinations this will be conducted within two weeks of the job offer. The candidates will be sent to be evaluated by a department selected physician who will evaluate whether the candidate can safely perform the essential functions of the job and a drug screen will be given.
- New Firefighters will attend the Springfield Fire Academy.
- The Academy is typically 24 weeks. Monday-Thursday, 10-hour days.
- New hires must successfully pass the Firefighter Physical Ability Test during the academy to maintain employment.
New Firefighters start at Step 1, and earn annual increases.
Employees of the Springfield Fire Department have the unique opportunity to accept special assignments and teams such as Water Rescue, Technical Rescue, Training and Hazardous Materials.
To review several of the Department's promotional opportunities, including earning potential, click the jobs below:
*This list does not include Chief opportunities.
- I want to be a Springfield Firefighter. What are the minimum qualifications for the position?
- I missed the last posting for Firefighter. When will you accept applications for this position again?
- I already have my Firefighter I & II and my EMT-B. Do i still need to go through the entire Springfield Fire Department Academy?