The City of Springfield provides community education and awareness about the benefits of implementing sustainable practices including:
- Print resources related to various aspects of solid waste management and waste reduction including composting, recycling and waste disposal
- Environmental education presentations to both youth and adult audiences
- Recycling Hotline - Call about what to recycle and where! 417-864-1904
- Special Event Recycling
- Tours of recycling facilities, sanitary landfill, household chemical collection center and wastewater treatment plants
Attention Classroom and Homeschool Educators:
- Community Resource Guide - compiled by the Interpreters Coalition of Springfield-Greene County to assist in utilizing the varied resources of our community toward field education and hands-on learning experiences
- Visit our Sustainable Crafts page for some activity, project and craft ideas for learners of all ages
Schedule a visit to one of our City's solid waste facilities. All field trips include a guided presentation.
- Springfield Sanitary Landfill
- Northwest Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Household Chemical Collection Center
- Yardwaste Recycling Center
- Southwest Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Lone Pine or Franklin Recycling Centers @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Presentations for all grade levels available, pre-k to adult.(Most in-class presentations are between 45 minutes to 1 hour.) Primary topics available include:
- Landfill Design Features: Learn how the landfill is constructed for the purpose of protecting air, water and land resources.
- Recycling-From Trash to Treasure: Focus is on what materials can become if they are put into a recycling bin. An Early Learner version of this program is available and is approximately 30 minutes in length.
- Recycle Right: Learn how to determine what to recycle, what not to recycle, and how to avoid contamination.
- Wastewater Treatment Process: Focus is on the steps in cleaning our wastewater so that it can be returned to a natural stream environment.
- Vermicomposting: Discover how to set up a worm bin as an alternative to regular composting.
- Care About the Air: Learn why clean air matters and how to keep our air clean.
- Toys from Trash: Discover how the recycling bin is a treasure chest of materials for creating toys! This is a make and take session.
- Dish to Dirt Composting: Focus is on how to set up and maintain a home composting bin.
- Sustainability: Focus is on defining sustainability and incorporating the 3 pillars into daily life. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
For more information or to schedule a field trip or program contact:
Education Outreach Coordinator