Which Businesses Are Essential?
Does my business qualify as an essential business as defined in the emergency order?
Major categories of essential businesses defined in the order include:
- Health care (doctors, dentists, nurses, hospitals, pharmacies, medical research facilities, blood donation services, labs, etc);
- Food and drink production and distribution (including grocery stores, markets, restaurants that offer food for carryout);
- Sanitation (including laundromats, dry cleaners, household and business cleaning services and supply stores);
- Transportation (including railroads, airports, public transit, taxis and other private transportation providers);
- Auto repair and service, including gas stations and auto supply stores;
- Financial Services (including banks, insurance providers, and professional services required to comply with legal and regulatory requirements);
- Manufacturing and distribution of supplies and materials for essential businesses (including trucking and other supply chain support functions);
- Maintenance and construction of infrastructure and households;
- Building supply stores
- Essential Government Operations;
- Residential care facilities
- Hotels and motels;
- Media and Communications Providers; and
- Mailing, Shipping, and Delivery services.
A full list of categories of essential businesses is provided in the stay-at-home order.
The City strongly encourages all essential businesses to allow employees to work from home and to maintain social distancing to the extent feasible in continuing to carry out their operations.
My business does not fall under one of the categories deemed essential, can it remain open if health precautions are taken?
Non-essential businesses can continue operations that can be conducted from employees’ homes or places of rest. They can also continue minimum necessary activities to maintain the value of the business’s inventory and facilities and to ensure security, process payroll and employee benefits, or for related functions, as well as minimum necessary activities to facilitate employees of the business being able to continue to work remotely from their residences or places of rest, provided social distancing is maintained. Any operations that do not meet these requirements must be ceased.
Do businesses and/or employees need formal certification or identification that they qualify as an essential business and/or are employed at an essential business?
I am unclear whether my business qualifies as essential or non-essential. Can I receive a formal recommendation from the City as to whether I qualify?
Currently guidance is available on a general (industry) basis and not a case by case (specific business) basis. We encourage all business owners to review the order in its entirety if they believe there is ambiguity about whether they qualify as essential or not. If you are unsure if you are an essential business, please call 417-799-1570, complete this form or email questions to email@example.com.