Formula Recall Information
The FDA has issued a Public Health Advisory for certain Similac brand or Elecare powdered formulas. More information is available at: FDA Investigation of Cronobacter and Salmonella Complaints: Powdered Infant Formula (February 2022) | FDA.
- Use the Abbott Product Lookup (similacrecall.com) to verify the product's lot number has been recalled.
- Keep cans for potential refunds/exchanges.
- If you have your receipt, check with the store where the recalled formula was purchased to determine if they can exchange the recalled product with the same formula. Retailers have been instructed to only exchange 5 cans per person. Some retailers may not have formula to exchange due to the recall or supply shortage.
- If unable to exchange at the retailer, participants may call Similac customer service at 1-800-986-8540 for information on a refund or replacement.
- As always, never dilute infant formula or feed homemade infant formula to infants. Learn more about safe formula preparation.
For WIC beneficiaries:
- If you do not have your receipt and you purchased the formula using eWIC benefits, call 417-864-1540 for assistance.
- If a WIC participant still has formula benefits on an eWIC card, switch to concentrate or ready-to-feed versions of the formula per typical MOWINS procedures, if those products are available.
- If appropriate, WIC participants can switch from one rebate formula to a different one if they have remaining benefits on their card or can bring in the recalled formula from the current months benefits. Please follow Section A., D., and F of the 2.3.080 Return, Donation, and Disposal of Formula and WIC-Eligible Nutritionals Return policy. Please keep all recalled formula returned for future instruction and DO NOT donate any recalled formula.
- Note: Similac Advance and Similac Isomil were the least impacted rebate formulas, although they could also be in short supply.
- Participants can purchase equivalent formulas of other brands using their SNAP benefits or other funds:
|Similac Advance||Enfamil Infant, Tippy Toes Infant, Parent’s Choice|
|Similac Sensitive||Enfamil Gentlease, Enfamil Reguline, Tippy Toes Sensitive, Parent’s Choice|
|Similac Total Comfort||Enfamil Gentlease, Enfamil Reguline, Complete Comfort, Tippy Toes Gentle|
|Similac for Spit-Up||Enfamil A.R.|
- For recalled exempt infant formulas, WIC participants can work with their health care provider to switch to an equivalent formula. Refer to Food Package III policy on obtaining a verbal order followed by a written order within 1-2 weeks. See table below for approved Missouri WIC equivalents.
|Similac Alimentum||Nutramigen, Nutramigen RTF|
|Elecare Infant||PurAmino, Neocate Infant|
|Elecare Jr||Neocate Jr, Bright Beginnings Soy Pediatric Drink|