The following categories are considered protected under the Mayor's Commission on Human Rights and Community Relations- Race
- Age (employment only) - Defined as an age of 40 or more years but less than 69 years, except that it shall not be an unlawful employment practice for an employer to require the compulsory retirement of any person who has attained the age of 65 and who, for the 2-year period immediately before retirement, is employed in a bona fide executive or high policy-making position, if such person is entitled to an immediate nonforfeitable annual retirement benefit from a pension, profit-sharing, savings, or deferred compensation plan, or any combination of such plans, of the employer, which equals, in the aggregate, at least 44,000 dollars.
- National Origin - Refers to the particular country from which one originates.
- Ancestry - Refers to the particular ethnicity of persons born in the United States.
- Sex - Deals with males, females, sexual harassment, unequal pay, and pregnancy-related issues. Sexual preference or orientation is not covered.
- Disability - A physical or mental impairment which substantially limits 1 or more of a person's major live activities, or a condition perceived as such, or a record of having such an impairment, which with or without reasonable accommodation does not interfere with performing the job, utilizing the place of public accommodation, or occupying the dwelling in question.