Additional requirements include the following:
- U.S. citizen;
- 21 years of age at commission;
- Excellent physical condition;
- No felony convictions;
- No conviction for domestic assault;
- No DWI, DUI, or BAC conviction within the past three years;
- May not have been at fault in more than one traffic accident in the past twelve months;
- Meet vision and hearing standards;
- No objectionable tattoos and no head, face or neck tattoos visible while on duty, or when representing the SPD in an official capacity, unless approved by the Chief of Police.
See Police Recruit Job Description for more information.
See information on Police Lateral qualifications.
The selection process includes the following elements:
- Written exam
- Physical agility test
- Background investigation
- Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment must then complete post-offer testing including a polygraph examination, pre-employment drug testing, a medical examination and a psychological evaluation.
Review our interview advice here.
Physical Agility Test
Candidates will perform a series of linked exercises that simulate necessary job functions of the Police Officer position and shall include but not be limited to the following:
The above series of job simulated exercises will take place on a continuous 1/2-mile course where the candidate will run or continuously move throughout the course. Candidates must successfully engage all tasks associated with each exercise on the course. The 1/2-mile course must be completed in a maximum time of 7:05.
Preparing for Testing
This test shall be considered physically demanding and it is vitally important for applicants to properly prepare for the test.
- Prepare both physically and mentally for the test.
- Come recovered, with at least 24-48 hours from any other physical activity prior to this testing.
- Hydrate properly, at least 24 hours prior to participating in this testing.
- Consume a light meal 1-2 hours prior to the physical agility testing, so you have adequate energy levels to help facilitate a better performance.
- Proper rest prior to testing is also recommended (7-8 hours of sleep).
Police Recruits start at step 1 on the pay scale, and automatically move to step 2 after graduation from the academy.