- Test Dates
- Why SPD?
- Testing & Selection
- Pay & Benefits
- Testing & Relocation Assistance
2021 testing schedule:
Candidates must participate in a written and physical agility test to be considered. Below is a listing of our upcoming testing dates. Click to learn more about the position and apply to come to testing.
Top Notch Benefits
Officers enjoy 100% paid Health insurance, generous leave time, wellness programs, tuition reimbursement & more. Our 100% paid retirement program is the most robust option through MO LAGERS. Check out all of our benefits here.
SPD has a strong relationship with the community, built on a foundation of transparency and mutual respect. We are committed to providing quality service to our community through personal integrity, fairness, open communication and a helpful attitude.
SPD values and prioritizes training and offers one of the best programs in the state. This includes the Academy for new Officers and on-going training for career development and growth across the department.
We offer a diverse array of special assignment and promotional opportunities including Investigations, Crime Analysis, Community Policing, University assignments, Training and more.
Additional requirements include the following:
- U.S. citizen;
- 21 years of age at commission;
- Excellent physical condition;
- No felony convictions;
- No conviction for domestic assault;
- No DWI, DUI, or BAC conviction within the past three years;
- May not have been at fault in more than one traffic accident in the past twelve months;
- Meet vision and hearing standards;
- No objectionable tattoos and no head, face or neck tattoos visible while on duty, or when representing the SPD in an official capacity, unless approved by the Chief of Police.
See Police Recruit Job Description for more information.
See information on Police Lateral qualifications.
The selection process includes the following elements:
- Written exam
- Physical agility test
- Background investigation
- Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment must then complete post-offer testing including a polygraph examination, pre-employment drug testing, a medical examination and a psychological evaluation.
Review our interview advice here.
Physical Agility Test
Candidates will perform a series of linked exercises that simulate necessary job functions of the Police Officer position and shall include but not be limited to the following:
The above series of job simulated exercises will take place on a continuous 1/2-mile course where the candidate will run or continuously move throughout the course. Candidates must successfully engage all tasks associated with each exercise on the course. The 1/2-mile course must be completed in a maximum time of 7:05.
Preparing for Testing
This test shall be considered physically demanding and it is vitally important for applicants to properly prepare for the test.
- Prepare both physically and mentally for the test.
- Come recovered, with at least 24-48 hours from any other physical activity prior to this testing.
- Hydrate properly, at least 24 hours prior to participating in this testing.
- Consume a light meal 1-2 hours prior to the physical agility testing, so you have adequate energy levels to help facilitate a better performance.
- Proper rest prior to testing is also recommended (7-8 hours of sleep).
Police Recruits start at step 1 on the pay scale, and automatically move to step 2 after graduation from the academy.
Lateral Officer pay information can be found here.
We welcome candidates from near and far and strive to make the testing and relocation process easier. If you are considering relocating, click here to learn about our wonderful community.
To help with costs incurred from traveling to participate in entry testing, travel vouchers are provided.
|Distance Traveled||Travel Assistance Provided|
|50-150 miles||$50 travel voucher|
|150 miles or more||$125 travel voucher|
and 1 overnight hotel accommodation
Follow-up Testing and Post Offer
During the post-offer phase of the Officer selection process, on-site testing is required such as a polygraph and psychological examination. Testing is coordinated and accommodations are made so that the least amount of travel is required of our candidates. Additional assistance is available to help with costs incurred for both Police Recruits and Lateral Officer candidates.
|Distance traveled||Travel Assistance Provided|
|150 miles or more||$125 travel voucher per visit|
and 1 overnight hotel accommodation
|50-150 miles||$50 travel voucher per visit|
We love welcoming new Officers to our wonderful community. To make things easier, we offer relocation reimbursement. This benefit is offered to both new Recruits and Lateral Officer candidates.
|Distance Traveled||Reimbursement Amount|
|50-150 miles||Up to $500|
|150-300 miles||Up to $1,500|
|300 miles or more||Up to $2,500|