Lateral Hire Program
Springfield is a unique city, in that the Police Department has a strong relationship with the community built on a foundation of transparency and mutual respect. Members of the Springfield Police Department are committed to providing quality service to our community through personal integrity, fairness, open communication and a helpful attitude. Hear from our laterals.
We offer a diverse array of special assignment and promotional opportunities including Investigations, Training, Narcotics, Special Response Team, Community Services, on-campus University assignments, and much more. Officers work 10 hour schedules with rotating days off to ensure a healthy work-home balance. Officers have the opportunity to identify their strengths and aspirations and align their careers accordingly. Check out the organizational chart here.
Hear from our Laterals.
TOP NOTCH BENEFITS
Click on a date to apply and schedule for testing:
All candidates for the position of Police Officer wanting to attend the Lateral Program must meet the following minimum qualifications in order to apply:
- Currently certified as a law enforcement officer. If not currently certified in the state of Missouri, with a Missouri P.O.S.T. Class A Peace Officer License, candidates may be allowed to complete written, physical and oral testing. However, Missouri Class A certification must be obtained before a background investigation will be conducted. (Contact Missouri P.O.S.T. at 573-751-4905 to find out how to get your Class A or visit the Missouri P.O.S.T. website).
- Must have a minimum of two years full-time sworn police experience in any state, within the last five years. Primary duties must include responding to calls for service, conducting preliminary and/or follow-up investigations of crimes, responding to traffic accidents, and apprehending, detaining and arresting suspects.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- Be at least 21 years of age at commission.
- Have no felony convictions.
- May not have more than one DWI conviction; and no DWI conviction in past three years.
- May not have been at fault in more than one traffic accident during the past twelve (12) months.
- Meet vision and hearing standard.
- No objectionable tattoos and no head, face or neck tattoos.
Applicants must pass every phase of the testing and selection process in order to be considered eligible for appointment to the Lateral Hire Program. If a candidate fails to meet the physical agility standards for the Lateral Hire program but all of his/her scores meet the Regular Academy standards, the candidate may opt to be considered for the Regular Police Academy.
Note: If a candidate opts to be considered for the Regular Police Academy, he/she is not eligible for placement on the pay scale higher than a step one, which is entry level pay, and he/she will be required to attend the normal 6-month academy training.
The selection process includes the following elements:
- Written exam
- Physical agility test
- Background investigation
- Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment must then complete post-offer testing including a polygraph examination, pre-employment drug testing, a medical examination and a psychological evaluation.
Review our interview advice here.
Candidates will perform a series of linked exercises that simulate necessary job functions of the Police Officer position and shall include but not be limited to the following:
The above series of job simulated exercises will take place on a continuous 1/2-mile course where the candidate will run or continuously move throughout the course. Candidates must successfully engage all tasks associated with each exercise on the course. The 1/2-mile course must be completed in a maximum time of 7:05.
Preparing for Testing
This test shall be considered physically demanding and it is vitally important for applicants to properly prepare for the test.
- Prepare both physically and mentally for the test.
- Come recovered, with at least 24-48 hours from any other physical activity prior to this testing.
- Hydrate properly, at least 24 hours prior to participating in this testing.
- Consume a light meal 1-2 hours prior to the physical agility testing, so you have adequate energy levels to help facilitate a better performance.
- Proper rest prior to testing is also recommended (7-8 hours of sleep).
The starting pay for Lateral Police Officers is discretionary and based on numerous factors including, but not limited to years of law enforcement service, law enforcement assignments, special training and agency size.
Each year, with a satisfactory evaluation, Officers receive a pay increase. Below is each step in our pay scale, the full scale is $46,009.60-$70,137.60.
|Annual Rate of Pay|
We welcome candidates from near and far and strive to make the testing and relocation process easier. If you are considering relocating, click here to learn about our wonderful community.
To help with costs incurred from traveling to participate in entry testing, travel vouchers are provided.
|Distance Traveled||Travel Assistance Provided|
|Police Recruits||250 miles or more||$50 travel voucher|
|Lateral Officer candidates||50-150 miles||$50 travel voucher|
|Lateral Officer candidates||150 miles or more||$125 travel voucher|
and 1 overnight hotel accommodation
Follow-up Testing and Post Offer
During the post-offer phase of the Officer selection process, on-site testing is required such as a polygraph and psychological examination. Testing is coordinated and accommodations are made so that the least amount of travel is required of our candidates. Additional assistance is available to help with costs incurred for both Police Recruits and Lateral Officer candidates.
|Distance traveled||Travel Assistance Provided|
|150 miles or more||$125 travel voucher per visit|
and 1 overnight hotel accommodation
|50-150 miles||$50 travel voucher per visit|
We love welcoming new Officers to our wonderful community. To make things easier, we offer relocation reimbursement. This benefit is offered to both new Recruits and Lateral Officer candidates.
|Distance Traveled||Reimbursement Amount|
|50-150 miles||Up to $1,000|
|150-300 miles||Up to $3,000|
|300 miles or more||Up to $5,000|
One of the major factors attracting people to the Ozarks is the surprisingly low cost of living. With an average home sales price of $161,703, people from across the U.S. are often astonished by the amount of home they can purchase here for a relatively low cost. Whether you’re investing in a home or simply buying groceries, clothing or gas, your hard-earned money stretches further here.