File a Citizen Crash Report

If you find yourself involved in a minor traffic crash, you are not necessarily obligated to call or wait for a police response. The Springfield Police Department encourages motorists involved in minor traffic crashes to exchange information with one another and file a Citizen Crash Report. The police department cannot work crashes that happen on private property, such as a mall parking lot, unless there are injuries that require immediate medical attention, or drinking is involved.

When to File a Citizen Crash Report

  • Crash happened within the Springfield city limits
  • Property damage to vehicles only
  • No injuries requiring immediate medical attention
  • There was no drinking or drug impairment involved
  • All vehicles involved are operational

Exchange Driver Information

  • Name and date of birth
  • Address
  • Home and work phone numbers
  • Driver's license number and state of issue
  • Vehicle information (make, model, year, color, license plate number and state of issue, etc.)
  • Insurance information

How to File a Citizen Crash Report

  • In person at the front desk at Headquarters Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Print and complete a form, and mail it to the address at the right of this page or email it to [email protected].