Accident reports can be obtained electronically through CARFAX
. Please allow 3 days from the time of the accident before the report will be available.
If your accident occurred prior to 3/1/2012, you can get a copy of a report from the Springfield Police Department. You may go to the front desk at Headquarters or South District Station and request a copy. To expedite your request, have the report number given to you by the Springfield Police Officer at the scene of the accident and the $2 fee with you.
You may receive an accident report by mail if you prefer. Send your request to the Police Department Headquarters at the address listed along with the report number and $2 fee.
Requests for copies of incident reports may be made in person or by mail. The Information Request Form
must be completed for each report you are requesting. The online PDF version of the form may be printed and completed by hand or you can obtain the form at Headquarters or South District Station. A $2 fee will be charged for each report.
All report requests are completed as soon as possible, generally within 3 business days of receiving the request. In some instances requests may take up to 30 days. Please provide as much of the following information as possible to expedite your request:
- Report number (report numbers are not the same as ticket numbers)
- Date and time of occurrence
- Location of occurrence (exact street address or intersection)
- Type of occurrence (burglary, vandalism, etc.)
- Full names of parties involved
When Making Requests
- All mail-in requests should be sent to Headquarters
- Walk-in requests may be made at Headquarters or South District Station
- All checks must be made payable to the City of Springfield