FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Those who attend Saturday night’s Mayor’s Tree Lighting and Holiday Show will be treated to performances from a diverse lineup of artists. Entertainment will range from country to jazz to performances in Spanish to rap to opera and everything in between.
Pictured right: Jin J X.
“We want our entire community to feel welcome at this annual event, which is why we are featuring a wide variety of artists,” said Cora Scott, event director and director of Public Information and Civic Engagement for the City of Springfield. “We’re excited to see some new and different interpretations of the holiday classics.”
Join us starting at 6 p.m. Saturday on Park Central Square or at 7 p.m. from the comfort of your own home on KY3. The tree will be lighted just before 8 p.m.
The Mayor’s Commission on Children will provide free copies of the book 'Twas the Night Before Christmas during a 6 p.m. reading of the holiday favorite on the square by Mayor Ken McClure.
Throughout the evening, families can take “Selfies with Santa,” enjoy free horse-drawn carriage rides courtesy of the Downtown Community Improvement District, ice skate for free at Jordan Valley Ice Park and enjoy free hot chocolate, cookies and candy canes courtesy of the City.
Back by popular demand are free rides on the SGF Holiday Express Train, which will circle Park Central Square throughout the evening.
The Mayor’s Tree Lighting Holiday Show event serves as the kickoff for the annual Festival of Lights, coordinated by Downtown Community Improvement District.
For more information, visit sgffestivaloflights.com.
- Princesses of the 417
- Brecka Henderson and Ambience (from the Melody Room)
- Kierstyn Hazzard
- Springfield Little Theatre YES Troupe
- Emalee Flatness and the Honkytonk Renovators
- Springfield Ballet
- Jessie Cowen
- Jayce Janae
- Shaun Munday
- Paco Padilla and friends – Songs from Tlaquepaque
- Springfield Symphony Orchestra
- Jin J X (pictured)
- Conrad and Tiffany Bear
- Allie Hutsell and Grace Clenna
- Studio Vie Dancers
- Drury University Christmas Vespers
Schedule of Events
- 6-7 p.m. – Free ice skating at Jordan Valley Park.
- 6-9 p.m. – Free horse-drawn carriage rides at Park Central Square (southwest corner).
- 6 p.m. – Children are invited to join Mayor Ken McClure on stage at Park Central Square for Holiday Storytime: the reading of ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas. Free books while supplies last courtesy of the Mayor’s Commission on Children.
- 6:15 p.m. – Santa and Mrs. Claus arrive at Park Central Square on the Holiday Express Train.
- 6:20-7 p.m. Live performances on the Park Central Square stage.
- 6:30-9 p.m. – Santa Land opens on Park Central Square – selfies with Santa and Mrs. Claus; free Holiday Express Train rides, Cookie Factory open; Jingle Bell Station open.
- 7-7:45 p.m. – Pre-recorded holiday television special on KY3 and broadcast into Park Central Square on the jumbo screen.
- 7:45 p.m. – Santa, Mrs. Claus and special musical guests join Mayor Ken McClure, KY’s Paul Adler and Maria Neider and Cora Scott for the countdown and lighting of the official Mayor’s Christmas tree.
- 7:55 p.m. – OFFICIAL LIGHTING.
- 8-9 p.m. – Talented local performers via video on the jumbo screen and continued opportunity to visit Santa and Mrs. Claus at Santa Land in Park Central Square.
Additional dates for free ice skating
- Nov. 24, 5-6 p.m. (Thanksgiving Day)
- Dec. 10, 6-7 p.m.
- Dec. 17, 6-7 p.m.
- Dec. 25, 5-6 p.m. (Christmas Day)
- Free admission, $3/skate rentals.
For more information, please contact Cora Scott at 417-380-3352.