FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Those who wish to run for mayor or City Council in the April 2015 election may begin the process starting tomorrow at 8 a.m. Applications and petitions for filing may be obtained from the City Clerk’s office beginning at 8 a.m., Tuesday, Oct. 21. At that time, the information for filing will also be available online. However, the petitions must be obtained from the City Clerk’s office. The following seats are up for election:
- Mayor (currently occupied by Robert Stephens);
- General Seat C (currently occupied by Doug Burlison);
- General Seat D (currently occupied by Mike Carroll);
- Zone 2 (currently occupied by Cynthia Rushefsky);
- Zone 3 (currently occupied by Jerry Compton).
Due to the elimination of the February primary, the filing dates for the general election are now Dec. 2, 2014-Jan. 20, 2015. Regular office hours of the City Clerk are 8 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Due to the lateness of the filing period, the City Clerk is making the application packets available earlier than would normally be the case. “Hopefully, this will allow for the gathering of the requisite number of signatures before weather becomes a factor,” says City Clerk Brenda Cirtin. Those wishing to file petitions must meet the following criteria:
- Qualified voter of the City of Springfield;
- Resident of the City for at least two years immediately prior to election; and
- Additionally, if filing for one of the zone seats, must be a resident of his or her respective zone for at least one year prior to election.
To be valid, the petitions must meet the following criteria:
- Zone: Signed by 100 registered voters who reside in the particular zone.
- General: Signed by 200 registered voters who reside within the City limits.
The General Municipal Election will be held Tuesday, April 7, 2015. # # # For more information, please contact Brenda Cirtin, City Clerk, at 417-864-1650.