FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Construction of widening improvements along Primrose Street between South Avenue and Kimbrough Avenue continues this week with the closure and reconstruction of three Kickapoo High School parking lot driveways.
Parking lot closures off of Primrose Street are scheduled as follows:
- Beginning 8:00 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 28, the west “entrance” driveway will close and is expected to reopen by 7 a.m., Thursday, Aug. 29
- For traffic entering the parking lot off Primrose on Wednesday afternoon, please use the driveway east of the sports fields. This will be a designated entrance on Wednesday afternoon. The entrance off Jefferson will be accessible from the north as well.
- Beginning 8:00 a.m., Thursday, Aug. 29, the east “exit” driveway will close and is expected to reopen by 7 a.m., Friday, Aug. 30.
- For traffic exiting the parking lot off Primrose on Thursday afternoon, please use the driveway east of the sports fields. This will be a designated exit as usual. The entrance off Jefferson will be accessible to the north as well.
- Beginning 4:00 p.m., Thursday, August 29, the access road east of the sports fields will close and is expected to reopen by 7 a.m., Friday, August 30.
“The timing of the driveway reconstructions will revolve around school traffic,” explains project manager Andrew Flippin. “As soon as we see parking lot traffic die down, we’ll close a driveway and get to work.”
Two weeks after the start of the school year and the roadway widening project is progressing and remains on schedule for completion in November.
“We’re still on track to reopen Jefferson Avenue, north of Primrose, within the estimated 30-day timeframe,” says Public Works Project Manager Andrew Flippin. “Road grading work has progressed and the public can expect to see paving along the north side of the project in the first weeks of September.”
Two-way traffic along Primrose Street has been maintained but continues to be reduced to two lanes in certain sections with no center turn lane. As paving and driveway access on the north side of the project is completed, traffic will be shifted north, so crews can complete improvements on the south portion of the roadway and Jefferson Avenue intersection.
Various nighttime and weekend closures of Primrose are expected, including a possible closure of Jefferson, south of the Primrose intersection. Any further traffic impacts will be announced with as much notice as possible.
Students and faculty are advised to continue to access school parking lots on Primrose from the east or on Jefferson from the north. Slow down, use caution and try to avoid making left turns within the work zone.
“Even without the construction, this area can be pretty chaotic during school opening and release times,” Flippin said. “We are continually working to keep the area safe and to make sure traffic doesn’t backup and affect other roadways. Our ultimate goal is to relieve some of the traffic congestion with the completion of this project.”
About the Project
The Primrose Street Widening Project involves the widening of Primrose Street to five lanes between South Avenue and Kimbrough Avenue, including the construction of bike lanes on both sides of the roadway and Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant sidewalks. New traffic signals will be added at the intersection of Jefferson Avenue and Primrose. Also included is the construction of new City Utilities gas and water facilities and the installation of a sewer main to provide service to Kickapoo High School’s athletic facilities.
Utilities improvements involved in the project will be reimbursed by City Utilities, with sanitary sewer improvements being funded by Springfield Public Schools. The remaining costs for the project will be funded through the City’s voter-approved ¼-cent Capital Improvement Sales Tax.
The project began in April and is expected to be complete in November. The contractor completing the improvements is Hartman & Company.
For more information and project updates, visit the project webpage at springfieldmo.gov/primrose.
For more information, contact Communication Coordinator Kristen Milam at 573-819-3713.