News Flash

Top News

Posted on: December 16, 2020

Volunteers needed for local boards and commissions


The City of Springfield is currently taking applications for a variety of boards and commissions. Volunteers are especially needed for the Landmarks Board and the Citizens' Tax Oversight Committee. Current board and commission openings include:

Board of Adjustment

Has authority to hear appeals, decide district boundaries, allow exceptions, and grant variances of the Zoning Ordinance relating to land improvements, in accordance with guidelines established by the Zoning Ordinance.  
More Board of Adjustment information
Apply Now

Building Trades Examination & Certification Board

Administers the licensing of the members of various building crafts or trades.
More Building Trades Examination & Certification Board information
Apply Now

Citizens' Tax Oversight Committee

Review and monitor the collection of the 1/4-cent Capital Improvements Sales Tax revenues, the 1/8-cent Transportation Sales Tax revenues, the 3/4-cent Police and Fire Fighters Pension Fund Sales Tax revenues, the Hotel/Motel Tax revenues, and the Level Property Tax revenues. In addition, the committee may evaluate any proposed reduction or enhancement to pension benefits before presentation to City Council.
More Citizens' Tax Oversight Committee information
Apply Now

Industrial Development Authority

Develops commercial, industrial, agricultural or manufacturing facilities in the City and also issues revenue bonds for industrial projects.  
More Industrial Development Authority information
Apply Now

Landmarks Board

Advises City Council, City Planning and Zoning Commission, the Park Board and the City Manager relating to the identification, protection, retention and preservation of historic sites in the City of Springfield. There are specific openings for: Commercial Street Representative, Walnut Street Representative, and Realtor Representative.
More Landmarks Board information
Apply Now

Mayor’s Commission on Human Rights and Community Relations

Foster mutual understanding and respect among all racial, religious and ethnic groups of the City and investigates discrimination complaints.  
More Mayor's Commission On Human Rights & Community Relations information
Apply Now 

Public Housing Authority

Provides housing for people of low income.  
More Public Housing Authority information
Apply Now 

Traffic Advisory Board

Advises the Traffic Engineer, Chief of Police, City Manager and City Council of ways and means for improving traffic conditions and/or enforcement of traffic regulations.
More Traffic Advisory Board information
Apply Now

The City has more than 25 standing boards and commissions, providing hundreds of opportunities for citizens to get involved in the community. Requirements for the City’s standing boards and commissions vary. 

Please visit for the latest boards and commissions openings.

# # #  

For more information, contact City Clerk Anita Cotter, 417-864-1651 or Media are asked to contact  Melissa Haase, assistant director of Public Information & Civic Engagement, at 417-864-1003 (office) | 417-536-7648 (cell),