FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
In compliance with the Office of State Courts Administrator’s “Statement on The Courts and the Coronavirus” and Governor Mike Parson’s March 13, 2020 Executive Order 20-02 declaring a state of emergency in Missouri, the Springfield Municipal Division of the 31st Judicial Circuit is modifying court operations in the interest of public health. As stated by the State Court Administrator, “The two main goals of judicial pandemic planning are: 1. Operating in a way that protects the health and safety of everyone at court facilities; and 2. Keeping Courts open to ensure justice for the people we serve.”
The plan outlined below will not impact any defendant’s liberty interests or due process rights. Simultaneously, it will eliminate the inevitable close social contact found in high-volume courts such as Springfield’s.
In support of the world-wide effort to aggressively prevent the spread of COVID-19 by limiting social contact, the court is taking the following actions:
- ALL cases starting March 16 through April 10 will be postponed to a later date. As the April 10 date approaches, the court will evaluate whether the current policy should be continued.
- New court dates for continued cases will be mailed to defendants or their attorneys at the address on file. If unrepresented defendants have a pending case, those defendants must keep their addresses updated with the court. To update your address, email [email protected] or call 417-864-1890. Persons appearing at the courthouse at 625 N. Benton will be provided a handout at the front door with contact information.
- All walk-in dockets from March 16 through April 10 are cancelled.
- Probationers may contact the probation office for possible alternatives to in-person reporting. You may contact your probation officer directly or by email at [email protected] or by phone at 417-864-1895.
- Victims and city witnesses should contact the prosecutor’s office for information. You may contact the City Prosecutor’s office by phone at 417-864-1899.
- Municipal Court will remain open for business. Court employees should report to work as scheduled unless sick or taking scheduled time off.
- Payments are encouraged to be made by phone at 417-864-1890, by mail at 625 N. Benton, Springfield, MO 65806, or at the court’s outside drop located at 625 N. Benton.
# # #
Find court information online at https://www.springfieldmo.gov/312/Municipal-Court. For more information, please contact Court Administrators Kyle O’Dell at 417-864-1360 or Deanna Farley at 417-864-1358.