FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The City of Springfield and partners Better Block SGF, Downtown Springfield Community Improvement District and the Downtown Springfield Association want to find out if wider sidewalks, outdoor dining, landscaping and art installations could improve the visitor experience to downtown Springfield.
A “placemaking” demonstration beginning Friday, Oct. 15 through Sunday, Oct. 24 will use traffic barriers, cones and signage on South Avenue between McDaniel and Walnut streets to simulate the expansion of the curb line. A temporary mid-block crosswalk, reduction of on-street parking stalls and narrowing of the driving lanes will calm traffic while providing loading zones for business deliveries.
The City of Springfield will collect public feedback on the installation Oct. 15-29. Those interested in sharing their input can participate in an online visitor survey at southavenue.questionpro.com. Paper surveys are available at locations nearby the installation. The City is also seeking feedback from surrounding downtown businesses via a survey at southavenuebiz.questionpro.com. Results from the survey will help guide future planning efforts and infrastructure improvements downtown.
The public and area businesses can expect the following traffic impacts throughout the demonstration:
- 7 a.m. – 6 p.m., Friday, Oct. 15 – Parallel parking stalls will be coned off on both sides of South Avenue between McDaniel and Walnut Streets to facilitate the installation of demonstration elements. Two-way traffic will be maintained.
- 6 – 8 p.m., Friday, Oct. 15 – Full closure of South Avenue between McDaniel Street and Walnut Street for a kick-off event hosted by Better Block SGF. Motorists are advised to follow the marked detour.
- Oct. 16 – 24 – South Avenue will be open to two-way traffic, with slightly reduced on-street parking and designated loading zones for deliveries.
- 7 – 9 a.m., Oct. 25 – Full closure of South Avenue between McDaniel and Walnut to uninstall demonstration elements. Motorists are advised to follow the marked detour.
- 9 a.m. Oct. 25 – South Street will return to pre-demonstration project configuration between McDaniel and Walnut Street.
# # #
For more information, contact Communication Coordinator Kristen Milam at 573-819-3713 or [email protected]