News Flash

2021 City News Releases

Posted on: June 8, 2021

Volunteers needed for local boards and commissions


The City of Springfield is currently taking applications for a variety of boards and commissions.

Boards and commissions with one or more vacancies include:

Board Of Public Utilities
Has the power and duty to take charge of and exercise control over any public utility owned or operated by or hereafter acquired by the City.
More Board Of Public Utilities information   
Apply Now

Citizens Advisory Committee For Community Development
Provides a forum for public review and comment on the City's annual Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding.
More Citizens Advisory Committee For Community Development information     
Apply Now

Citizens' Tax Oversight Committee
Review and monitor the collection of the 1/4-cent Capital Improvements Sales Tax revenues, the 1/8-cent Transportation Sales Tax revenues, the 3/4-cent Police and Fire Fighters Pension Fund Sales Tax revenues, the Hotel/Motel Tax revenues, and the Level Property Tax revenues. In addition the committee may evaluate any proposed reduction or enhancement to pension benefits before presentation to City Council.
More Citizens' Tax Oversight Committee information     
Apply Now

Landmarks Board
Advises City Council, City Planning and Zoning Commission, the Park Board and the City Manager relating to the identification, protection, retention and preservation of historic sites in the City of Springfield.
More Landmarks Board information     
Apply Now

Mayor's Commission On Human Rights & Community Relations
Foster mutual understanding and respect among all racial, religious and ethnic groups of the City and investigates discrimination complaints.
More Mayor's Commission On Human Rights & Community Relations information
Apply Now

Personnel Board
Advises the City Council, City Manager and Director of Personnel concerning personnel administration and makes any investigation which it considers desirable concerning the administration of personnel in the municipal service; approves merit system rules and hears appeals from disciplinary action. Note: Correspondence should be directed to the Busch Municipal Building, 840 Boonville, 65802 or 417 864-1600.
More Personnel Board information     
Apply Now

Planning And Zoning Commission
Recommend proposed amendments to Springfield Comprehensive Plan, Zoning Ordinance & Official Zoning Map; applications for conditional use permits; exercises control over platting of subdividing land and other various land development applications within the City.
More Planning And Zoning Commission information     
Apply Now

Police Civilian Review Board
To review and comment to the City Council through the City Manager and to the Chief of Police upon citizen appeals of determinations made by the Police Department about specific police conduct matters.
More Police Civilian Review Board information     
Apply Now

Traffic Advisory Board
Advises the Traffic Engineer, Chief of Police, City Manager and City Council of ways and means for improving traffic conditions and/or enforcement of traffic regulations.
More Traffic Advisory Board information     
Apply Now

Tree City Usa Citizen Advisory Committee
Committee will advise City Council and appropriate City Departments regarding the city's trees and the community's urban forest and assist in continuing to qualify Springfield as a Tree City USA community.
More Tree City USA Citizen Advisory Committee information     
Apply Now

Industrial Development Authority
Develops commercial, industrial, agricultural or manufacturing facilities in the City and also issues revenue bonds for industrial projects.
More Industrial Development Authority information     
Apply Now

Board Of Adjustment
Has authority to hear appeals, decide district boundaries, allow exceptions, and grant variances of the Zoning Ordinance relating to land improvements, in accordance with guidelines established by the Zoning Ordinance.
More Board Of Adjustment information     
Apply Now

Building Trades Examination & Certification Board
Administers the licensing of the members of various building crafts or trades.
More Building Trades Examination & Certification Board information     
Apply Now

Public Housing Authority
Provides housing for people of low income.
More Public Housing Authority information     
Apply Now 

The City has more than 25 standing boards and commissions, providing hundreds of opportunities for citizens to get involved in the community. Requirements for the City’s standing boards and commissions vary. Please visit to view the latest openings.

# # # 

For more information, contact City Clerk Anita Cotter, 417-864-1651 or [email protected]. Media are asked to contact Cora Scott, director of Public Information & Civic Engagement, at 417-864-1009 (office) | 417-380-3352 (cell), [email protected].

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in 2021 City News Releases

Mayor Ken McClure shares holiday message

Posted on: December 21, 2021

Mayor Ken McClure's Thanksgiving Video

Posted on: November 24, 2021

Festivities on the square begin at 6 p.m.

Posted on: November 20, 2021

Statement from Mayor McClure

Posted on: October 8, 2021

CACCD to meet May 25

Posted on: May 20, 2021

CACCD to meet April 27

Posted on: April 23, 2021

CACCD to meet March 23

Posted on: March 18, 2021

CACCD to meet Feb. 23

Posted on: February 18, 2021

CACCD to meet Jan. 26

Posted on: January 13, 2021