FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The City of Springfield will host a launch event from 3-6 p.m. July 21 at Hammons Field, called Forward SGF Revealed! The event will feature a dynamic walk-through exhibit in the air conditioned suites at Hammons Field, home of the Springfield Cardinals.
Free parking is available in the lot south of the ball field, at Trafficway and Hampton Avenue. Enter the stadium at Gate 1 to check in and begin a tour of the Comprehensive Plan exhibits.
This event is the first in a series of public information sessions to share the details of the plan with the community. Sessions will be scheduled in August and September in each of the City’s four City Council Zones. Visit Forwardsgf.com for full event details.
Following significant outreach with thousands of interactions and record-breaking numbers of citizen participation, the key topics have been integrated in corresponding sections throughout a comprehensive plan document, a draft of which will be available later this month.
“Forward SGF is Springfield’s comprehensive planning process which will provide a blueprint for the future,” said Susan Istenes, Director of Planning & Development. “The plan takes into account many planning considerations, including demographic and national trends, the changing times, and the fact that Springfield is in a redevelopment mode with little green field development space available. Particular attention is paid to strategic planning for corridors, neighborhoods and activity centers.”
Overall, the themes of community physical image, health and well being and arts, culture and historic preservation run through the plan, with particular alignment with City Council’s priorities of quality of place, legislative engagement, fiscal sustainability and accountability, economic vitality and public safety.
What is a comprehensive plan?
- The community’s “Roadmap” for growth and redevelopment for the next 10-20 years, a foundation for decision making
- A policy guide for a broad range of topics with a focus on “orderly and
- efficient development and redevelopment”
- The sharing of local aspirations
- A dynamic document that can be updated and maintained to reflect new trends and events.
The Forward SGF Comprehensive Plan is NOT regulatory, but informs decision about zoning, development and future growth.
As a common community vision, Forward SGF could:
- Attract potential investors and provide fair certainty by telegraphing the community’s aspirations for the future and assist with certainty in decision making
- Serve as a coordinated “playbook” for departments and partners
- Lay the groundwork for future grant seeking
- Aid in review of proposed development
- Guide public improvements and related capital needs
- Align regulations and policies
The Comprehensive Plan also includes subarea plans for Glenstone Avenue, Trafficway Street, Chestnut Expressway, the Lake Springfield area, Boonville Avenue and supplementary plans for downtown and Historic Commercial Street.
Visit ForwardSGF.com and attend or tune in to one several upcoming public information sessions throughout the summer and fall.
# # #
For more information, contact Melissa Haase at 417-864-1003 or [email protected].