FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Following the July 21 city-wide event at Hammons Field, the City of Springfield will host a series of smaller launch events for the Forward SGF Comprehensive Plan for each City Council zone, starting Aug. 16. Each event will include the same information. Feel free to attend them all or the one most convenient for you.
Find out which City Council zone you live in.
Thursday, Sept. 1, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
The Library Station
2535 N. Kansas Expressway
Tuesday, Aug. 16, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
Ozarks Technical Community College
Lincoln Hall Room 208
815 N. Sherman Ave.
Tuesday, Aug. 23, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
The Library Center
4653 S. Campbell
Thursday, Aug. 25, 4:30-6:30 p.m.
Missouri Career Center
2900 E. Sunshine
Following significant outreach with thousands of interactions and record-breaking numbers of citizen participation, the key topics have been integrated in corresponding sections throughout a comprehensive plan document, a draft of which will be available later this month.
“Forward SGF is Springfield’s comprehensive planning process which will provide a blueprint for the future,” said Susan Istenes, director of Planning & Development. “The plan takes into account many planning considerations, including demographic and national trends, the changing times, and the fact that Springfield is in a redevelopment mode with little green field development space available. Particular attention is paid to strategic planning for corridors, neighborhoods and activity centers.”
Overall, the themes of community physical image, health and well being and arts, culture and historic preservation run through the plan, with particular alignment with City Council’s priorities of quality of place, legislative engagement, fiscal sustainability and accountability, economic vitality and public safety.
What is a comprehensive plan?
- The community’s “Roadmap” for growth and redevelopment for the next 10-20 years, a foundation for decision making
- A policy guide for a broad range of topics with a focus on “orderly and
- efficient development and redevelopment”
- The sharing of local aspirations
- A dynamic document that can be updated and maintained to reflect new trends and events.
The Forward SGF Comprehensive Plan is NOT regulatory, but informs decision about zoning, development and future growth.
As a common community vision, Forward SGF could:
- Attract potential investors and provide fair certainty by telegraphing the community’s aspirations for the future and assist with certainty in decision making
- Serve as a coordinated “playbook” for departments and partners
- Lay the groundwork for future grant seeking
- Aid in review of proposed development
- Guide public improvements and related capital needs
- Align regulations and policies.
The Comprehensive Plan also includes subarea plans for Glenstone Avenue, Trafficway Street, Chestnut Expressway, the Lake Springfield area, Boonville Avenue and supplementary plans for downtown and Historic Commercial Street.
# # #
For more information, contact Cora Scott at 417-380-3352.